Check out our Liberian shortbread recipe! This twist on the classic shortbread cookie features a softer, cake-like texture and is flavored with vanilla extract and eggs. Easy to make and customizable with your favorite toppings, this recipe is perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth. Try our Liberian shortbread recipe today and discover a new favorite treat!
Liberian shortbread is a type of cookie that is similar to traditional shortbread cookies but with a slightly different texture and flavor.
Shortbread cookies are typically made with butter, sugar, and flour, and have a crumbly, melt-in-your-mouth texture.
Liberian shortbread, on the other hand, often includes additional ingredients such as eggs, vanilla extract, and sometimes even baking powder or baking soda.
These ingredients give the cookies a slightly softer and more cake-like texture, while still retaining the buttery richness of traditional shortbread.
In Liberia, shortbread cookies are a popular treat and are often served with tea or coffee. They can be enjoyed plain or topped with a sprinkle of sugar or other toppings such as chopped nuts or chocolate chips.
Liberian shortbread is a delicious and unique twist on the classic shortbread cookie, with a softer texture and additional flavorings that make it a favorite among cookie lovers in Liberia and beyond.
Try our delicious Liberian shortbread recipe featuring a soft, cake-like texture and rich flavorings like vanilla extract and eggs. Perfect for any occasion!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the butter mixture until just combined.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a log shape.
- Cut the log into 1/2 inch-thick slices and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are lightly golden.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy your delicious Liberian shortbread cookies!
Rated: 5.0 of 5.0 from 67 reviews.
Recipe Tags: Liberian Shortbread, Liberian Shortbread Recipe, Shortbread, Liberian, Recipe
- Plain: Liberian shortbread is delicious on its own, without any additional toppings or accompaniments. Serve it alongside a cup of tea or coffee for a simple and satisfying snack.
- Sprinkled with sugar: For a little extra sweetness, you can sprinkle the tops of the cookies with granulated sugar before baking. This will create a slightly crunchy, caramelized layer on top of the cookies.
- Topped with nuts or chocolate chips: Liberian shortbread can be customized with your favorite toppings, such as chopped nuts or chocolate chips. Simply press the toppings onto the top of the cookies before baking.
- Sandwiched with jam: For a fun twist on the classic shortbread cookie, you can sandwich two cookies together with a layer of jam in the middle. Raspberry or strawberry jam are both great options.
- Dipped in chocolate: If you're feeling decadent, you can dip the cookies in melted chocolate for an extra-rich and indulgent treat. Simply melt your favorite type of chocolate (milk, dark, or white) in a bowl over a pot of simmering water, then dip the cookies halfway into the chocolate and let them cool on a wire rack until the chocolate is set.
- Use room temperature butter: It's important to use butter that has been softened to room temperature, as this will make it easier to cream with the sugar and will help ensure a smooth and creamy cookie dough.
- Don't overmix the dough: When mixing the dry ingredients into the butter and sugar mixture, be careful not to overmix. Overmixing can lead to a tough, dense cookie. Mix just until the dough comes together.
- Chill the dough: After mixing the dough, it's a good idea to chill it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. This will make the dough easier to handle and will help prevent the cookies from spreading too much during baking.
- Use parchment paper: To prevent the cookies from sticking to the baking sheet and to make cleanup easier, line the baking sheet with parchment paper before baking.
- Keep an eye on the baking time: Liberian shortbread cookies can go from perfectly golden to overdone very quickly, so keep a close eye on them during the last few minutes of baking. You want the edges to be lightly golden but not brown.
- Store the cookies properly: To keep the cookies fresh and prevent them from becoming stale, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
- Butter: Margarine or vegan butter can be used as a substitute for butter. Keep in mind that the flavor and texture of the cookies may be slightly different.
- All-purpose flour: You could use other types of flour such as whole wheat flour, spelt flour or gluten-free flour, but the texture and taste of the cookies may be different.
- Sugar: White granulated sugar can be substituted with brown sugar, coconut sugar or honey. Just keep in mind that using a different type of sugar may change the texture and taste of the cookies.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract can be substituted with other extracts such as almond extract or maple extract.
- Eggs: If you need to make an egg-free version of these cookies, you could try using a vegan egg substitute such as flax eggs, chia eggs or applesauce. However, keep in mind that the texture and flavor of the cookies may be slightly different.
- Baking powder: You could substitute baking powder with baking soda, but keep in mind that the amount needed may be different.
In conclusion, Liberian shortbread cookies are a delightful treat that are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
This unique twist on the classic shortbread cookie recipe is perfect for those who enjoy a softer, more cake-like texture, and the additional flavorings such as vanilla extract and eggs add a wonderful richness and complexity to the cookie.
Whether enjoyed plain, sprinkled with sugar, or customized with your favorite toppings, Liberian shortbread cookies are sure to be a hit at any gathering or as a simple snack with a hot cup of tea or coffee.
So why not give this recipe a try and experience the delicious taste of Liberian shortbread for yourself?