Looking for a comforting and satisfying dinner recipe? Try our K&W Baked Spaghetti recipe! This classic dish features tender spaghetti noodles, a flavorful tomato sauce, and plenty of melty cheese. Follow our simple recipe and tips to recreate this beloved favorite at home. Perfect for family dinners or potlucks with friends. Get the recipe now!
K&W Baked Spaghetti is a classic and delicious comfort food dish that is commonly served at K&W Cafeteria, a chain of Southern-style restaurants in the United States.
It consists of spaghetti noodles that are layered with a meaty tomato sauce, topped with a generous amount of melted cheese, and then baked in the oven until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
The spaghetti sauce used in K&W Baked Spaghetti is made with ground beef, onion, green bell pepper, garlic, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and a variety of dried herbs and spices such as oregano, basil, sugar, salt, and black pepper.
The ground beef is first browned in a large skillet, and then the onion, bell pepper, and garlic are added and sautéed until tender.
The crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and seasonings are then added to the skillet and simmered for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
Once the sauce is ready, the cooked spaghetti noodles are layered in a baking dish with the sauce and a mixture of shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese.
The dish is then topped with melted butter and baked in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
K&W Baked Spaghetti is a hearty and satisfying dish that is perfect for feeding a crowd or for meal prep. It can be served with a side salad or garlic bread to complete the meal.
Looking for a delicious dinner recipe? Try our K&W Baked Spaghetti! Follow our simple recipe and tips for a satisfying meal. Get it now!
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic, and sauté until the vegetables are tender and the beef is fully cooked.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, oregano, basil, salt, and black pepper to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce for 15 minutes.
- In a large baking dish, layer half of the cooked spaghetti, half of the sauce, and half of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with the remaining spaghetti, sauce, and cheeses.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the top of the spaghetti.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let the baked spaghetti cool for a few minutes before serving.
Enjoy your K&W Baked Spaghetti!
Rated: 5.0 of 5.0 from 39 reviews.
Recipe Tags: K&W Baked Spaghetti, K&W Baked Spaghetti Recipe, Baked Spaghetti, Recipe
K&W Baked Spaghetti is usually served hot and straight out of the oven. Once it is finished baking, let it cool for a few minutes before serving to allow the cheese to set a bit.
It can be served directly from the baking dish or can be portioned onto individual plates.
You can serve K&W Baked Spaghetti with a variety of side dishes, such as garlic bread, a simple green salad, or some roasted vegetables.
Some people like to top their baked spaghetti with additional grated Parmesan cheese or chopped fresh herbs, like basil or parsley, for added flavor and freshness.Be that as it may, K&W Baked Spaghetti is a comforting and satisfying dish that is sure to please everyone at the dinner table.
- Cook the spaghetti until it is al dente: To ensure that your spaghetti doesn't become mushy or overcooked, be sure to cook it until it is al dente, which means it is cooked but still has a slight bite to it. Follow the package instructions for the recommended cooking time, but be sure to taste the spaghetti before draining it to ensure it's cooked to your liking.
- Use good quality ingredients: Since the sauce and cheese are the star ingredients in this dish, it's important to use good quality ingredients to ensure the best flavor. Use fresh garlic, onion, and bell pepper, and high-quality canned tomatoes and cheese.
- Layer the ingredients evenly: When layering the spaghetti, sauce, and cheese in the baking dish, be sure to distribute each layer evenly to ensure that every bite has a good balance of spaghetti, sauce, and cheese.
- Don't skimp on the cheese: The cheese is what makes this dish so delicious, so don't be afraid to use plenty of it! Use a combination of shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese for the best flavor and texture.
- Bake it until the cheese is golden brown: Be sure to bake the spaghetti until the cheese is melted and golden brown. This will give the dish a nice crispy texture and enhance the flavor of the cheese.
- Let it cool before serving: After baking, let the spaghetti cool for a few minutes before serving. This will allow the cheese to set a bit and make it easier to portion out onto individual plates.
- Ground beef: If you prefer, you can substitute the ground beef with ground turkey, ground chicken, or vegetarian meat crumbles.
- Spaghetti noodles: You can substitute spaghetti noodles with any other type of pasta, such as penne or rigatoni.
- Crushed tomatoes: If you don't have canned crushed tomatoes, you can substitute with canned diced tomatoes or canned whole tomatoes that you crush with a fork or blender.
- Tomato paste: You can substitute tomato paste with canned tomato sauce, but be sure to reduce the amount of liquid in the sauce to avoid a watery sauce.
- Mozzarella cheese: If you don't have mozzarella cheese, you can use any other type of melty cheese, such as cheddar, Colby, or Monterey Jack.
- Parmesan cheese: If you don't have Parmesan cheese, you can use any other type of hard, salty cheese, such as Pecorino Romano or Asiago.
- Herbs and spices: If you don't have the specific herbs and spices called for in the recipe, you can use any Italian seasoning blend or a combination of dried basil, oregano, and thyme.
In conclusion, K&W Baked Spaghetti is a classic and comforting dish that is perfect for any occasion. With its flavorful tomato sauce, melty cheese, and tender spaghetti noodles, it's no wonder that this dish has become a beloved staple in many households.
Whether you're serving it for a family dinner or a potluck with friends, K&W Baked Spaghetti is sure to please everyone. By following the simple steps and tips outlined in this article, you can easily recreate this delicious dish at home and make it your own.
So why not give it a try and see for yourself why K&W Baked Spaghetti is such a timeless favorite?