Tomato egg is a quick and easy dish that's bursting with flavor. It's a classic Chinese recipe that's perfect for busy weeknights when you need to get dinner on the table fast.
Tomato egg is a popular Chinese dish that consists of stir-fried eggs and tomatoes. It is a simple and easy-to-make dish that is both nutritious and delicious. The dish is made by first chopping ripe tomatoes into small pieces and then stir-frying them in a pan with a small amount of oil until they become soft and tender.
Then, beaten eggs are poured into the pan and mixed together with the tomatoes until the eggs are almost cooked. Finally, a sauce made of soy sauce and sugar is added to the pan to give the dish a sweet and savory flavor, and sliced green onions are added for a fresh, aromatic touch.
The tomato egg dish is typically served hot as a main course with steamed rice or as a side dish alongside other Chinese dishes. It is a simple yet delicious dish that is easy to make and enjoyed by many people.
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the chopped tomatoes and stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes until the tomatoes start to soften.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Pour the beaten eggs into the pan and stir-fry together with the tomatoes for about 1-2 minutes or until the eggs are almost cooked.
- Add the soy sauce and sugar to the pan and stir-fry for another minute.
- Finally, add the green onions and stir-fry for another 30 seconds.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
- Enjoy your delicious tomato egg dish!
This is a video about Chinese Tomato Egg.
Video Credits: Future Neighbour
Rated: 4.9 of 5.0 from 3 reviews.
Recipe Tags: Tomato Egg, Tomato Egg Recipe Cho, Recipe, Tomato Egg Recipe
- Main course with rice: The most common way to serve tomato egg is as a main course with steamed rice. You can scoop the tomato egg onto a plate or bowl and serve it alongside a bowl of hot rice. This makes for a filling and nutritious meal.
- Side dish: Tomato egg can also be served as a side dish alongside other Chinese dishes. It pairs well with stir-fried vegetables, fried rice, and noodles.
- Breakfast: In some parts of China, tomato egg is also eaten as a breakfast dish. You can serve it with steamed buns, congee (rice porridge), or other breakfast foods.
- Snack: Tomato egg can also be served as a snack. You can cut it into bite-sized pieces and serve it on skewers or toothpicks for a tasty and portable snack.
- In general, tomato egg is a versatile dish that can be served in many different ways depending on your preference. Whether you serve it as a main course, side dish, breakfast, or snack, it is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
- Use ripe and firm tomatoes: To ensure that the tomatoes are flavorful and cook evenly, use ripe and firm tomatoes that are free of bruises or soft spots. You can use either Roma or vine-ripened tomatoes.
- Beat the eggs well: Beat the eggs well with a pinch of salt and black pepper to ensure that they are light and fluffy. This will help them cook evenly and give the dish a good texture.
- Cook the tomatoes first: It's important to cook the tomatoes until they are soft and tender before adding the eggs. This will help them release their juices and blend well with the eggs.
- Add the sauce at the right time: Be sure to add the soy sauce and sugar to the pan only after the eggs are almost cooked. This will prevent the eggs from getting too watery and help the sauce to blend well with the eggs and tomatoes.
- Don't overcook the eggs: To ensure that the eggs are light and fluffy, avoid overcooking them. As soon as the eggs are almost cooked, remove the pan from the heat and add the sauce.
- Use high-quality ingredients: To make the best tomato egg dish, it's important to use high-quality ingredients, such as fresh eggs, ripe tomatoes, and good-quality soy sauce.
- Serve hot: Tomato egg is best served hot, so be sure to serve it immediately after cooking. This will help to preserve the flavor and texture of the dish.
- Tomatoes: You can use canned diced tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes. Alternatively, you can use other vegetables like bell peppers or onions for a different flavor.
- Eggs: You can use tofu instead of eggs if you want to make a vegan version of the dish. Simply chop the tofu into small pieces and stir-fry them with the tomatoes and other ingredients.
- Vegetable oil: You can use other neutral-tasting oils like canola oil or grapeseed oil instead of vegetable oil.
- Soy sauce: If you don't have soy sauce, you can use tamari or liquid aminos as a substitute. You can also use oyster sauce or hoisin sauce for a different flavor.
- Sugar: You can use honey or maple syrup instead of sugar for a natural sweetener. You can also omit the sugar altogether if you prefer a less sweet dish.
- Green onions: If you don't have green onions, you can use regular onions or shallots instead. You can also use garlic or ginger for added flavor.
- One serving (approximately 1 cup) of tomato egg contains around 180-200 calories, depending on the size of the eggs and amount of oil used.
- It is a good source of protein, with around 13-15 grams per serving, thanks to the eggs.
- Tomatoes are high in vitamin C and provide a good source of potassium, while eggs provide essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin D, choline, and selenium.
- To reduce the amount of fat and calories in the dish, you can use a non-stick pan and reduce the amount of oil used. Alternatively, you can use egg whites instead of whole eggs to lower the cholesterol content.
Whether you're looking for a new go-to recipe for weeknight dinners or want to try something different for breakfast, tomato egg is a dish that's sure to please. This classic Chinese recipe is simple to make, yet bursting with flavor, making it a favorite among many households. By following the tips and using the suggested substitutes, you can customize the dish to your liking and dietary needs. So why not give the tomato egg recipe a try and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills? Happy cooking!