Guyanese Sponge Cake is a traditional recipe that has been passed down through generations. It's a light and fluffy cake with delicate texture and sweet flavor that's perfect for any occasion.
Guyanese Sponge Cake is a traditional sponge cake recipe that originated in Guyana. It is made with flour, sugar, eggs, and butter. It is often flavored with vanilla and is known for its light and fluffy texture. Some variations also include ingredients like grated coconut or raisins. It is typically served as a dessert or a snack.
The cake is known for its light, fluffy texture and its sweet flavor. It's perfect for any occasion, from birthdays to holidays and even for a casual snack.
One of the reasons why you should try this recipe is that it can be customized to your personal taste. You can add grated coconut or raisins to the batter for a more delicious taste, or you can try different flavorings like lemon zest, vanilla, or almond extract.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8x8 inch square baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold into the egg mixture.
- Stir in the melted butter, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing it from the pan and placing it on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve the sponge cake with your favorite toppings such as powdered sugar, fresh fruits, or whipped cream.
This is a video about Guyanese Sponge Cake.
Video Credits: Matthew's Guyanese Cooking
Rated: 4.7 of 5.0 from 6 reviews.
Recipe Tags: Guyanese Sponge Cake, Recipe For Guyanese Sponge Cake, Guyanese Sponge Cake Recipe
- Dusting the cake with powdered sugar: Simply sprinkle a light layer of powdered sugar over the top of the cooled cake before serving.
- Topping the cake with fresh fruits: Cut some fresh fruits like berries, banana or mango and put them on the top of the cake.
- Serve with whipped cream: You can also spread whipped cream on top of the cake and garnish with fruit or chocolate shavings.
- Serve with a fruit compote: Prepare a fruit compote by cooking down fresh or frozen fruits in a saucepan with sugar and a bit of lemon juice, let it cool and put it on top of the cake.
- Serve with a caramel or chocolate sauce: Drizzle a warm caramel or chocolate sauce over the top of the cake for a decadent twist.
NOTE: Ultimately, the way you choose to serve the Guyanese Sponge Cake will depend on your personal taste and the occasion you're serving it for.
- Use room temperature ingredients: Make sure to bring all ingredients to room temperature before you start baking. Room temperature ingredients will mix together more easily and evenly, resulting in a better texture for your sponge cake.
- Sift the flour and baking powder: Sifting these ingredients together will make sure there are no lumps in the batter, which will make the cake more fluffy.
- Don't overmix the batter: Mix the batter until the ingredients are just combined. Overmixing the batter will make the cake dense and tough.
- Grease and flour the pan well: This will ensure that the cake comes out of the pan easily and in one piece.
- Bake at the right temperature: Follow the recipe's instructions for the oven temperature and baking time. Make sure to check the cake's doneness with a toothpick or cake tester.
- Don't open the oven door too often: Opening the oven door too often can cause the cake to fall.
- Let the cake cool completely: Let the cake cool completely before removing it from the pan, or adding any toppings or frosting.
You can add your own twist on the recipe and customize it to your taste by adding different flavorings like lemon zest, vanilla, or almond extract. Also, try adding some nuts, dried fruits, or chocolate chips to the batter for a more delicious taste.
In conclusion, the Guyanese Sponge Cake is a delicious and traditional recipe that is perfect for any occasion. It's easy to make, requires only a few basic ingredients, and can be customized to your personal taste.
We hope you've enjoyed this article and that you'll give this recipe a try. Be sure to share the recipe with others, and feel free to experiment with different variations and toppings to make it your own. Happy baking!